Skip to main content

Review: Deviant Need

Deviant Need Deviant Need by L. Norell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Trigger/Content Warnings
- violence
- murder
- substance abuse/addiction
- on-page suicide attempt
- on-page bullying
- on-page child abuse

If you ever walk into a karaoke bar and see Mikhail belting out The Distance by Hot Chelle Rae: "And just so you know...the distance is what's killing me...", it's because Daniil slept in his arms last night and not on top of his body like a blanket , and Misha cannot handle it when they're that far apart.

A little darker in tone than Violent Devotion, we begin with Daniil and Mikhail some months after Alexei and Kelly have settled into domestic bliss, *taps nose*, and they're searching for information about Daniil's past. Brought into the Avrorin family at only two years old, we get a closer look at their relationship. Raised as brothers, the two are unusually close, intimate in ways that range from sharing a bed to constant physical contact. I was not kidding about Mikhail using Daniil as a human blanket. While Daniil knows that he's demisexual and in love with Mikhail, he's concerned that he'll never have a shot and resolves to break his "addiction" to the man he can't have. Mikhail isn't having it, though. Daniil - Danya - is the only person who has ever loved him, made him feel human, and he's not losing the only person who matters to him.

Even as a minor character, Mikhail stood out as a favorite of mine in Violent Devotion, so getting his story and watching him lose his mind as Daniil pushes him away was something I enjoyed immensely. Daniil, who has selective mutism due to his past, sometimes feels that he's overlooked, and that brought out a bit of an exhibitionist kink in him. Leading up to their first time having sex felt like L. Norell was edging me, and to that, I just want to say, "Thank you..."

We also get a deeper look at Misha and Danya’s relationships with their brothers and their abusive father, Roman—and how he’s manipulated, pressured, and abused them well into adulthood. It was heartbreaking, but it also explains why the brothers have never been able to get along. Roman constantly pits them against each other while insisting they’re family. But to him, family only means the Russian mafia and protecting his power.

I had a great time with this one and can’t wait for Yulian and Mateo to wrap up the series.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Fair Play

Fair Play by Josh Lanyon My rating: 5 of 5 stars *happy, contented sigh* View all my reviews

Review: Dirty Money

Dirty Money by Liliana Hart My rating: 5 of 5 stars This really wasn't long enough. The story stops at 88% for some reason, but fine. I'll accept that because it was awesome! The stakes were extremely high this time around after the cliffhanger in the last book. I'm happy that Jack and Jaye are evolving as a married couple while dealing with old ghosts. This book wrapped up a 4-book story arc, and while it feels like a good place to end, I hope that it doesn't. View all my reviews

Review: Silent in the Grave

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn My rating: 2 of 5 stars #PopsugarReadingChallenge2019 Prompt - a book recommended by a celebrity you admire: The incomparable Felicia Day (actress, author, all around good egg) rated this 5 stars in her active Goodreads library. ...and I won't hold it against her. Once upon a time, Modern Millie travelled back in time and did a bunch of things that were not possible for women during the Victorian era. Along the way, she met an android disguised as a human that could slice and dice and speak every language. He also had a superpower: to annoy this particular reader to the point of pain. Literal pain, mind you. I rolled my eyes so hard and often that I gave myself a headache. Together, they set out to alternately annoy and bore the shit out of me, as it was also her superpower; and solve a murder that I, myself, solved before 40% of the book had been read. Unfortunately, they survived to annoy and angst me into...